Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Searching Lashmi Rai

Perusing through the pages of the internet in search of some interesting news on IPL, I stumbled on an AFP report about the Bollywood bonanza in the African nation. Amidst the numerous names like Priety Zinta, Shilpa Shetty and others all of a sudden I chanced upon a name called Lakshmi Rai that I had never heard. Being a film aficionado, it hit me hard as how come I don't know anything about this damsel which the paper claimed to be a Bollywood actress. If that was not enough, the paper also claimed that she was having a romantic liaison with none other than the Indian skipper Mahendra (Mohini) Singh Dhoni.

This bit of information was enough to shake me off my feet and i raised half bemused and half anguished at ignorance and I decided to dig out everything that i find about her. Well, here what I found.

First of all, she is not a bollywood actress but a tollywood or I should say south Indian actress but there is no point in blaming the guys who addressed her as a bollywood actress as they hardly have any idea about the enormity of the film industry in this part of the country. We don't only have bollywood here, there are a lot of woods like Tollywood (both for Tamil and Kolkata 'Tallyganj') and Mollywood (Malayalam) and a lot of other woods would come up in the future, aping the west.

However, its the second information that left be all the more confused as wikipedia claims she had a romatic relationship with Indian Cricket's slap boy S Sreesanth. It plunged me into a deep thought as if she was in a relation with Sreesanth why should she be here for MSD. May be she would know it better...

However, the exercise lessened my guilt of ignorance to a large extent as I have not seen any south Indian films aprt from those hindi translated ones. So it means it doesnt fall in my scheme of things. Bravo, I am not that ignorant afterall....... or m I?

No comments: